• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost money importing product

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jasonxman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
CALIFORNIA

I paid $1000 worth of products from china using T/T and Wells Fargo. I haven't received my product yet, been a week. How do I get my money back? What is the process. What should I do next time to prevent this from happening?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
CALIFORNIA

I paid $1000 worth of products from china using T/T and Wells Fargo. I haven't received my product yet, been a week. How do I get my money back? What is the process. What should I do next time to prevent this from happening?
You need to wait more than a week for product coming from China.

In order to prevent it from happening I would suggest that you not "...paid $1000 worth of products from china using T/T and Wells Fargo."

sandyclaus

CALIFORNIA

Shipping from China is notoriously slow, depending of course on the product being shipped and method of shipment.

Case in point - I ordered a ring from a seller in China on Amazon.com for a Christmas present in the second week of November. According to the order info, the ESTIMATED arrival date was scheduled to be anywhere from December 16th all the way to the 2nd week in January. This was for a $5, tiny piece of metal jewelry, shipped by USPS International First Class Mail via China Post. Based solely on the dollar amount of the "product" you're buying, you can probably expect no less than 6-8 weeks, maybe longer if it's delayed in customs by a missing/incomplete/inaccurate bill of lading (which, unfortunately, is ALSO common with shipments from China).

I've also heard tell of many horror stories of customers buying from scammers in China who NEVER see the product they think they purchased. They, too, were forced to pay by wire transfer, and often after having made complaints, were suddenly inundated by demands for more money for shipping/customs fees, costs to bribe officials to release shipments being held for one reason or another, etc.

I hope that you got a WRITTEN contract for your purchase before actually transferring over $1,000 via wire transfer to this company? If not, and you proceeded based upon word of mouth alone, it's entirely possible that you got scammed out of your money and will NEVER see the "product" which you thought you were buying.

justalayman

CALIFORNIA

wow, it's been a whole week? Gee are kids nowadays spoiled. Instant gratification and across the world cargo shipping are not words often used together.

what was the expected date of delivery? If it was sent via cargo ship, it's going to be awhile. Travel time alone is about 2 weeks. Then you have the time it takes to get the merchandise on the ship and for it to clear customs and eventually complete the journey to you via whatever means was hired for completion.

scotchlonghorn

I'm not a lawyer, I created an account to ask a question, but I believe I can offer you some advice relating to importing. It sounds like you are quite new at it, so never again make the mistake of starting off by ordering $1000 worth of product. You need to test it first, try $100 and maybe $250 max, unless it is a larger product that costs more than $250. If that is the case avoid that until you know what you are doing. Also do not expect the product to get there in a week, unless you are shipping via plane. If you are, stop doing that. Plan ahead and wait for the boat to arrive, your shipping expenses will be much lower. Finally, before you try importing again do your due diligence and research the heck out of it. There is plenty of literature available online for you to read, as well as tons of useful books. Importing can be very rewarding, but if you are not careful you can make some very expensive mistakes. Good luck and sorry if I'm not supposed to provide answers like this, I just figured I could provide some value to the OP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">