• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lost shipment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

charles51157

our company shipped an expensive computer
via common carrier, uninsured.
The carrier, which is a nation-wide
carrier said they most likely lost
the shipment; and that they pay cliams
up to $50 for uninsured shipments.
The carrier verbally admits to bringing
6 boxes into their terminal and shipping
out only 5 boxes.
What is our legal re-course, and does
the FTC laws and reg apply here.
The lost computer is worth 10's of
thousands of dollars.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by charles51157:
our company shipped an expensive computer
via common carrier, uninsured.
The carrier, which is a nation-wide
carrier said they most likely lost
the shipment; and that they pay cliams
up to $50 for uninsured shipments.
The carrier verbally admits to bringing
6 boxes into their terminal and shipping
out only 5 boxes.
What is our legal re-course, and does
the FTC laws and reg apply here.
The lost computer is worth 10's of
thousands of dollars.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Boy, would I hate to be the employee who shipped a computer "worth 10's of
thousands of dollars" without insurance.

Your company knew, or should and could have known, the rules of the shipping company, based upon the writing on the bill of lading and, since insurance was either refused, or failed to be purchased, your company is only entitled to the "liquidated damages" clause spelled out in the shipper form, or bill of lading. That's it.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">