• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loud Businesses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fiesty01

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Does anyone here work nights and have trouble sleeping in the morning due to noise from nearby businesses?

I work a "normal" job during the day starting at 1:00pm, then I design websites at night. My wife and I normally go to bed around 4:00am - 5:00am and get up around 11:00am on days we work the "normal" jobs. We normally get up aroud 1:00pm - 2:00pm on days we are off).

Of course, there's always some noise from cars and large trucks going by our house, but these noises are usually tolerable except for the occasional "drag racer" that needs a new muffler.

My question is can anything be done about the noise from businesses that are TOO loud, such as loud banging, crashing sounds, loud generator noise, etc.? Does this involve nuissance law, or perhaps some other law about businesses somehow harming someone?

By the way, for some reason, I have been told that there is no noise ordance in the county where we live. So, what do you do, other than go to bed earlier or move from the place you consider your home?

Thanks.

HomeGuru

fiesty01 said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Does anyone here work nights and have trouble sleeping in the morning due to noise from nearby businesses?

I work a "normal" job during the day starting at 1:00pm, then I design websites at night. My wife and I normally go to bed around 4:00am - 5:00am and get up around 11:00am on days we work the "normal" jobs. We normally get up aroud 1:00pm - 2:00pm on days we are off).

Of course, there's always some noise from cars and large trucks going by our house, but these noises are usually tolerable except for the occasional "drag racer" that needs a new muffler.

My question is can anything be done about the noise from businesses that are TOO loud, such as loud banging, crashing sounds, loud generator noise, etc.? Does this involve nuissance law, or perhaps some other law about businesses somehow harming someone?

**A: you must first research the laws. Call your county and your health department.

By the way, for some reason, I have been told that there is no noise ordance in the county where we live. So, what do you do, other than go to bed earlier or move from the place you consider your home?

Thanks.

**A: see above.

Last edited:
F

fiesty01

Could you elaborate a bit?

This (forum) is basically my research. For example, what would any of you do in this situation (other than be forced to go to bed earlier or stop working at night?

Call the health department? Why?

Call the county? To whom do I speak?

Thanks.

HomeGuru

Re: Could you elaborate a bit?

fiesty01 said:
This (forum) is basically my research. For example, what would any of you do in this situation (other than be forced to go to bed earlier or stop working at night?

**A: what did you do thus far?in terms of researching the laws?

Call the health department? Why?

**A: I want you to think about it and then tell us why.

Call the county? To whom do I speak?

**A: to whom do you think you should speak to?
Thanks.

**A: no problem.

F

fiesty01

Okay

I'm afraid that wasn't very helpful (if I knew the answers to those questions there would be no need for me to ask them here). Since I'm not a lawyer, a parallegal, a research assistant, or even a law student, I thought this message forum might be a much faster way to find an answer to my questions.

One answer for my research thus far: If someone goes to bed at 11:00pm and gets up at 7:00am, and I go to their house at 3:00am and play very loud music in front of their house, I am disturbing the peace and they can call the cops to stop me. However, if a business does this, it's okay and is not considered disturbing the peace (except to those of us affected by it). Oh yeah, in case it was missed, there's no noise ordinance in this county, though I'd love to know how to get one here.

Anyone?

F

fiesty01

Perhaps...

The person who goes by the name "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" might have an opinion on this?

C

Caglitz

research your County and State nuisance laws, then proceed accordingly. This forum encompasses 50 states and to advise on this subject really requires knowledge of your state and local laws and ordinances. I'll bet that some your state or county has some sort of nuisance law, but you should research this yourself (try typing in your county / state, and then nuisance, or some other keyword) you'll probably find something.

F

fiesty01

Thanks alot Caglitz. At least you attempted to help. I have researched those things some, but it's like sorting through a jungle of stuff that is meaningless in this case. In other words, finding the EXACT thing one is looking for without having to sort through "tons" of other meaningless facts can be quite time-consuming and unsuccessful.

To HomeGuru:
You do not know me at all. To say "Boy you sure are not a fiesty01 at all" sounds as though you have completely judged me based on one extremely tiny part of my attitudes and/or views. I suppose you may have judged me as incapable, uneducated, and research-incompetent as well, but that can be your opinion if you like. Plus, you were not helpful at all, so I wonder why you bothered replying at all (especially answering questions with practically the same question). Go figure.

A simple "I don't know" (or nothing at all) would have sufficed. By the way, I actually studied business law quite a bit in college, but this particular subject wasn't covered too much (just basic nuissance law topics).

Also, the
, , and html functions are not working for you (for some reason), and are very unbecoming when included with your messages.

F

fiesty01

LoL!!!

Hmmm, aid=593465. The "aid" part must mean affiliate I.D. (identification). Uh oh! Are you sure it's not dummy_juice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">