• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mail order clubs & a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My 15yr old daughter got her 1st job this summer and was feeling "rich". She joined mail order clubs without my knowledge or permission. When the bills starting coming in I wrote each company and told them she would pay off what she owed at $5.00 a week each. (I had her write each company also) Now the video club has sent us an invoice stating that instead of the original $54.00, she owes $175. for breaking the contract. Am I liable? Must she pay, as a minor, for this mistake and for something she has not gotten?
Thanks. Sindy in Ohio

S

somebody

I am not a lawyer but I know enough about this, a minor cannot enter into a contract, thus the contract is void and you owe them nothing. I did the same thing when I was but a minor and ended up keeping my 12 CDs for a penny and payed them nothing more. I would think the right thing to do is still pay them but my response to the company would be something like "My daughter entered into this contract without my knowledge and she is 15 years old, thus the contract is void."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">