• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Making a Profit off a Club?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

native44

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My friends were talkiing about starting a club where we would go around giving back to the community. Basically our funds would come from our own pocket, fundraisers, donations, etc. and what we were talking about was if we had any left over funds from donations or whatever we would use it for ourselves. I was just wondering if there was anything fraudulent about this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My friends were talkiing about starting a club where we would go around giving back to the community. Basically our funds would come from our own pocket, fundraisers, donations, etc. and what we were talking about was if we had any left over funds from donations or whatever we would use it for ourselves. I was just wondering if there was anything fraudulent about this.
What you are talking about is opening a for-profit business in the guise of a charity.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
hmmm...but if we put all the income on our tax forms is there anything illegal about it?
The answer to that is: It depends. It COULD be considered fraudulent, depending on how you present the entity when collecting "donations."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">