• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic's lien? (regarding PCs, not cars)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe7dust

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have lost contact with the owner of a laptop given to me for servicing. How long before I legally own it? Do I need to file for some type of mechanic's lien on the unpaid services before I can claim it as my own? I called him to say it was ready for pickup over two weeks ago and he said he would come by but I have not heard from him and lost his number. No payment has been received either.

joe7dust

Lol a thread I made a year and a half ago with no reply... cute.. :)

I would still like an answer on this, if anyone knows...?

I don't know much more than I did over a year ago, but I have heard a couple things related to this in the past 18 months.

I know that if a motorcycle mechanic has your bike for 90 days and you haven't paid for the repairs he calls DPS and they send a "DPS Officer" out to verify that the repairs have been done. This sounds ridiculous to me because officers are not necessarily good mechanics so how would they know the difference?

In my case with laptops, it would be equally strange because they'd really need to send a forensic IT expert out to have it done right.

Basically the way I look at it since there is no 'title' associated with laptops you don't need a 'mechanic's lien' to get the 'title' of the laptop therefore it should be salvaged to cover the costs of the technician.

I could probably still lose a civil case over that however so I obviously want to avoid the scenario altogether.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">