• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Might be on the wrong board but is this fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fuscucla1

There is a website (freelotto.com) they claim to give free lotto tickets and drawings for cash prizes daily. I tried it, but now everyday I get an e-mail promoting more games and drawings. Well, this e-mail lists past winners from the previous week. One of the winners this week has my last name, this is impossible, no one in the United States, and maybe even the world, has my last name. I figure they just mix and match names on their database and make-up the winners list. Is this fraud? Misrepresentation? It must be something illegal, can I sue them?

W

WELLSGRUMPY1.cs.com

I received the same email message today. I have a hyphenated last name and the winnner annouced for this week had the same last name. My name is also very uncomman, especially two last names. I think free lotto is a scam and their computers got names confused.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fuscucla1:
There is a website (freelotto.com)
they claim to give free lotto tickets and
drawings for cash prizes daily. I tried
it, but now everyday I get an e-mail
promoting more games and drawings. Well,
this e-mail lists past winners from the
previous week. One of the winners this
week has my last name, this is
impossible, no one in the United States,
and maybe even the world, has my last
name. I figure they just mix and match
names on their database and make-up the
winners list. Is this fraud?
Misrepresentation? It must be something
illegal, can I sue them?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suggest you both contact freelotto and make a claim for the prizes and awards that you have won. If freelotto in fact is using names of actual indivduals that entered but have not won, and stating that these people won, then that is unethical. That practice would be clear misrepresentation, fraud and deceptive business and advertising practice. My friends at the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) would like to know about this as the FTC regulates deceptive advertising and trade practices. Go to www.ftc.gov and file an online complaint. If they in fact are using your name, yes you can sue them. By the way I am sill waiting for my name to be called.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited May 27, 2000).]

F

fuscucla1

Can I really claim the prize if only my last name was used? The first name use dwas Catherine and it stated that she was in Omaha. I am going to report it to the FTC now. What kind of lawyer do i need to contact to sue them. Thanks in advance,

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fuscucla1:
Can I really claim the prize if only my last name was used? The first name use dwas Catherine and it stated that she was in Omaha. I am going to report it to the FTC now. What kind of lawyer do i need to contact to sue them. Thanks in advance,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can attempt to claim the prize. You have previously stated that one else has your last name in the US and maybe even the world. Based on your statement, the company is may be involved in false advertising or you may have a new rich relative out there. You can contact an attorney that specializes in consumer or internet law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">