• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this mobile app business legal??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lazeone

CALIFORNIA

Is it legal to create a mobile app that allows people who wait in long lines to sell their spot in line to people willing to pay?

The seller can sell their spot in line for events, retail product launch dates, nightclubs, and restaurants. Is this legal?

tranquility

It's "legal" until it's not. This was tried with parking until CA cities made it illegal.

Now, I doubt a place in line is a property right. If the person in line leaves, everyone that was behind him will have a say as to if he can be replaced by another. Some venues may prevent it as well. Just because one is in line does not mean the venue has to accept that order.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
CALIFORNIA

Is it legal to create a mobile app that allows people who wait in long lines to sell their spot in line to people willing to pay?

The seller can sell their spot in line for events, retail product launch dates, nightclubs, and restaurants. Is this legal?
The problem you'll have is that line jumping is often against da rules at most places.

There's a kid in Austin TX that will stand in line at Franklin's barbecue for a fee. He charges like $50. I've never been there, but I hear the bbq is worth his fee.

lazeone

thanks

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think its a great idea, but the legality of it all may prevent us from going forward with the concept.

justalayman

CALIFORNIA

It's legal but since a person has no true rights to sell, it would be quickly made useless the first time everybody in line beat up the people availing themselves of the use of the app after which they would sue you and take all of your money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">