• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Model Release Charitable Organization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bouvweb

I am a member of a not for profit charitable organization involved in animal assisted therapy. In short, we take our dogs to visit people in hospitals etc. We sometimes take photos of the dogs doing their for our website. We do this for educational and Public Relations reasons. While we routinely have the patients or patients guardians sign model releases, we do not have our members sign them. Should we? Can a member of a Charitable organization seek financial compensation from the organization?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bouvweb:
I am a member of a not for profit charitable organization involved in animal assisted therapy. In short, we take our dogs to visit people in hospitals etc. We sometimes take photos of the dogs doing their for our website. We do this for educational and Public Relations reasons. While we routinely have the patients or patients guardians sign model releases, we do not have our members sign them. Should we? Can a member of a Charitable organization seek financial compensation from the organization?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Same answer as I gave to "photographer." All because you are a charitable organization, does not give your club any higher authority, or dispensation from, the rule of law - - privacy. In order to use someone's photo, you would need to get their permission and for a contract, some sort of consideration would have to pass between you and the subject of the photo. Let's assume you have a plumber who is a member of your club. If a pipe burst, and you asked your club member / plumber to repair the pipe, you'd have to pay him/her unless the plumber "donated" his services to the club; and a donation is sufficient "consideration."

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">