• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Move or Dissolve Corp? CA to FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA and FL

I have a California S-Corp and have moved to Florida. Its all online, so the business isnt really operating anywhere specifically. But I want to "move" the business to Florida officially and officially remove it from California. When I called a FL attorney he just kept repeating that you do a "New Filing" in Florida. The implication I assume is that there is no act of "Moving" from CA to FL. But what if I open the corp in Florida then its a completely different company. And duration of "in business" goes down the tubes (12 years) ....

Anyways ... if I open an S CORP in florida after a move from CA, do i dissolve the CA corp? (and pay thousands to do so) or can I move it?

Thanks!

No.

The goal is moving it to Florida because I physically moved to Florida.

As I stated above.

I am talking to an attorney in FL and he keeps repeating that I can't move my business to Florida. I have to dissolve and do a new filing. Why one earth would that be the only option????

If intel moved from CA to FL would they have to close the entire business down and end it? Lose their 20 years of business history and everything, and go to city hall to open a new business called Intel in FL?

I need to know how to move the corp from CA to FL.

LdiJ

No.

The goal is moving it to Florida because I physically moved to Florida.

As I stated above.

I am talking to an attorney in FL and he keeps repeating that I can't move my business to Florida. I have to dissolve and do a new filing. Why one earth would that be the only option????

If intel moved from CA to FL would they have to close the entire business down and end it? Lose their 20 years of business history and everything, and go to city hall to open a new business called Intel in FL?

I need to know how to move the corp from CA to FL.
You don't have to lose 20 years of business history. You merely have to dissolve your CA business entity and set up a FL business entity. Or, you could keep your CA business entity but operate in FL. It would be a lot more expensive to do that, but you can do that.

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA and FL

I have a California S-Corp and have moved to Florida. Its all online, so the business isnt really operating anywhere specifically. But I want to "move" the business to Florida officially and officially remove it from California. When I called a FL attorney he just kept repeating that you do a "New Filing" in Florida. The implication I assume is that there is no act of "Moving" from CA to FL. But what if I open the corp in Florida then its a completely different company. And duration of "in business" goes down the tubes (12 years) ....

Anyways ... if I open an S CORP in florida after a move from CA, do i dissolve the CA corp? (and pay thousands to do so) or can I move it?

Thanks!

I'm not understanding your question. Businesses are created under state laws. If you want to move a business from California to Florida, you terminate the business entity in California and create a business entity in Florida. That doesn't mean you can't consider it the same business, at least as presented to the public. What that means is you cannot move a California company to Florida but you can move YOUR company, that is currently based in California to Florida. YOUR company would still have a 12 year history of operation, it just wouldn't be as a Florida registered company.

You are mixing up the registration of the business with the actual operation of the business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">