• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple business names but one set of financial records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nybizowner

We own a small business in New York that has been registered and trademarked for over 25 years (call it "Landscaping Company"). I want to use a different company name to better promote another service (call this entity "Tree Removal Company") that is similar to but is more specifically focused on another service than that provided by Landscaping Company. When clients pay me for work done as Tree Removal Company, I want them to write their checks to Tree Removal Company. However, I want all financial records for both entities to go to Landscaping Company; when I deposit a check made out to Tree Removal Company, I want to be able to deposit it into Landscaping Company’s bank account. What do I need to do to make sure I am doing this legally? I have already registered Tree Removal Company's name with my local County Clerk. One possible wrinkle: Tree Removal Company is registered in my name, whereas Landscaping Company is registered and trademarked in my wife's name; we both have the same surname and are both employees of Landscaping Company, receiving salaries and medical benefits. Note: The original company name is not descriptive of the services we want to offer now. What we want with the new company name is to better describe what Tree Removal Company does, so potential clients can recognize the specific services offered -- without having to obtain a new EIN, new bank account, etc.

Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I'd call the bank and ask what you will need to attach the new, or multiple DBA's to the single bank account. Call a few banks, but they will likely make you open multiple accounts for the multiple DBA's (doing business as). Your accountant would probably recommend the same (mutliple accounts).

Antigone*

I'd call the bank and ask what you will need to attach the new, or multiple DBA's to the single bank account. Call a few banks, but they will likely make you open multiple accounts for the multiple DBA's (doing business as). Your accountant would probably recommend the same (mutliple accounts).
Banks will allow one DBA for one account only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">