• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Municipal Code

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bpollock1964

What is the name of your state? Vista, California

We are looking to open a second pawnshop in the City of Vista, and one of the municipal codes pertaining to pawnshops include a residency stipulation. I currently live in Oceanside which is next door and my children attend school in the City of Vista, in fact, my son is the Senior Executive Student Body President. Is there anyway to get around this requirement?

Sincery
Brian Pollock

JETX

Is there anyway to get around this requirement?
Suggestions:
1) Don't do it since it would be in violation of the local zoning ordinance.
2) Go ahead and do it, since laws are made to apply to everyone but you.
See, that was simple, huh??

bpollock1964

While I apprecaite you taking the time to answer my question, it really wasn't the type of advise I was looking for! Specifically I was looking to see if such municipal codes have an appeals procedure? Or is it simply not worth the effort to fight City Hall?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
While I apprecaite you taking the time to answer my question, it really wasn't the type of advise I was looking for! Specifically I was looking to see if such municipal codes have an appeals procedure? Or is it simply not worth the effort to fight City Hall?
What did the City say when you asked them?

DStaub

City codes are unique; no one can make an across-the-board statement that there is (or is not) an appeals process in Vista, CA without looking at that city's code.

The best advice is to start a dialog with the appropriate person in the city. Perhaps they have some flexibility built into the code.

In most cases, cities are very reluctant to legislate on a case-by-case basis. No matter how appealing your circumstance is, there can be long term negative consequences to a city if it starts selectively enforcing its ordinances or adopts amendments that favor a single individual.

bpollock1964

Thanks you very much for your answers. My request to the city has been passed from the City Clerk to the City Attorney for review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">