• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my business idea legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zieger

I live in Washington State and have a business idea, but want to make sure it is legal before I pursue it. Is it legal to rent the use of video game consoles and games in store much like PC's at a wizards of the cost store? Would there be anything special I would have to do to make it legal?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

What is the name of your state?
zieger said:
I live in Washington State and have a business idea, but want to make sure it is legal before I pursue it. Is it legal to rent the use of video game consoles and games in store much like PC's at a wizards of the cost store? Would there be anything special I would have to do to make it legal?

My response:

Did it ever occur to you that there's a reason why you don't see "Game Parlors" on every block, and in every shopping Mall? Here's a hint. Read the license agreement that comes with every game.

And no, it's not like the pinball parlors we had in the '70's and '80's.

IAAL

P

phwl

Those penny arcades were great though. Nothing better than a roll of quarters and sneaking a pint of Jack into the arcade with your friends on a Friday night.

Lest we divert.......... You can open an "arcade" but there are strict laws governing the location such as near a school or church, and there is a limit to the number of machines you can have without obtaining a special license. Check with your local laws for the specific restrictions. Also, as IAAL pointed out, there are requirements for licensing use of registered/copyrighted material, so you would also need licensing from the manufacturers of the games you might want to use.

Keep in mind though that with all of the gaming options out there at such cheap prices, most consumers are buying for home use. A gaming arcade might not be too feasible. 20 years ago, you would have been rolling in quarters though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">