• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my business partner is a crook!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcivny

:mad:What is the name of your state?NY
i started a hvac business about 6 months ago with a partner--we are an s-corp. it just came to my attention today that my partner has been writing himself numerous checks. we agreed for now we would pay ourselves back for or investment. i invested about 80% more than he did. so far he has taken about2/3 more from the company--without ever telling me about what he has been doing--i bought a truck--that he drives--numeruos offices supplies,and equiptment among other things i paid for. i know i need a lawyer but can someone tell me where to go from here--i have nothing in writing, but receipts bank deposits,etc.

TomD1974

A) Have you discussed this with your partner? I would do that before I ran around contacting lawyers

B) Before you bring in lawyers, understand that what you REALLY need, and right now, is accounting assistance. You and your partner need to sit down with an accountant to understand the needs of the business and how it relates to your ability to take distributions (or salary), and then agree to it. Without that, you are likely headed toward shuttered windows and a little meeting with the friendly folks at the IRS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">