• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My business partner is giving me the runaround.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rollcue

Portland, Oregon.

My friend and I started a technology company 4 years ago. It's been a tough road, but we've managed to survive and pay the bills. Originally, my friend sent in all the corporate filings. He registered us as an S-Corp, setup as a holdings company for an LLC (we had planned to run each product as individual LLC's, but only filed for one so far).

The problem is that all the paperwork was submitted with his name as the registering agent and CEO and no other mention of officers, etc. The intention was to have proper corporate bylaws and shareholder agreements drafted, but that was soon put on the back burner when we discovered the large cost involved (my business partner is not that knowledgable on corporate matters, and I'm not signing a shareholder agreement that hasn't been vetted thoroughly). So, we've operated the past four years under the notion that we would someday get everything squared up. I have been involved as an employee only, in order to receive paychecks.

I'm getting concerned that my business partner has no intention of completing the shareholder agreement, and thus maintaining 100% of the company. (We originally decided on a 50/50 split, which has been maintained in our paychecks.) The company has little cash in the bank, however, we may soon sign a major contract which may change that. This new contract will also allow us the funds to finally complete the larger documents. Until then, however, I want to draft some temporary documentation, that I can have him sign, agreeing that I am entitled to 50% of the company, and outlining the timeline and process for completing all the larger corporate documents.

I need advice on the type of documentation that can work as a placeholder until the full documents are completed. Would a partnership agreement work, even though we are not registered as a partnership? I want to be sure whatever is drafted will work within the current S-Corp, LLC structure, even though it's not the full documents. I also need to be careful of tax implications, if any, and if it may change my standing as an employee. I'm mainly looking to cover my bases in a temporary way, should the larger documentation effort be dismissed by my business partner when the day comes. I would never allow this situation to happen again, but we were both inexperienced when we launched, and well... you know how the story goes. Any advice for the type of documentation that could be upheld in court despite my business partner's name being all over the corporate filings, would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You need the advice of a corporate attorney. As it stands now, you are simply an employee.

latigo

Portland, Oregon.

My friend and I started a technology company 4 years ago. It's been a tough road, but we've managed to survive and pay the bills. Originally, my friend sent in all the corporate filings. He registered us as an S-Corp, setup as a holdings company for an LLC (we had planned to run each product as individual LLC's, but only filed for one so far).

The problem is that all the paperwork was submitted with his name as the registering agent and CEO and no other mention of officers, etc. The intention was to have proper corporate bylaws and shareholder agreements drafted, but that was soon put on the back burner when we discovered the large cost involved (my business partner is not that knowledgable on corporate matters, and I'm not signing a shareholder agreement that hasn't been vetted thoroughly). So, we've operated the past four years under the notion that we would someday get everything squared up. I have been involved as an employee only, in order to receive paychecks.

I'm getting concerned that my business partner has no intention of completing the shareholder agreement, and thus maintaining 100% of the company. (We originally decided on a 50/50 split, which has been maintained in our paychecks.) The company has little cash in the bank, however, we may soon sign a major contract which may change that. This new contract will also allow us the funds to finally complete the larger documents. Until then, however, I want to draft some temporary documentation, that I can have him sign, agreeing that I am entitled to 50% of the company, and outlining the timeline and process for completing all the larger corporate documents.

I need advice on the type of documentation that can work as a placeholder until the full documents are completed. Would a partnership agreement work, even though we are not registered as a partnership? I want to be sure whatever is drafted will work within the current S-Corp, LLC structure, even though it's not the full documents. I also need to be careful of tax implications, if any, and if it may change my standing as an employee. I'm mainly looking to cover my bases in a temporary way, should the larger documentation effort be dismissed by my business partner when the day comes. I would never allow this situation to happen again, but we were both inexperienced when we launched, and well... you know how the story goes. Any advice for the type of documentation that could be upheld in court despite my business partner's name being all over the corporate filings, would be greatly appreciated!
Please do not refer to your friend as your partner. It carries dangerous baggage.

And do not under any circumstances enter into a partnership agreement. That is, unless you want to put everything you own on the line.

Do as Z wisely instructs. First talk to YOUR corporate attorney and soon before the "major deal" takes fruit. And then be cautious of just how involved you become with the guy that seems to be taking charge. People like that seldom like to share the wheel. And that ain't just talk, pal. I've seen businesses go down the drain time after time because of it, including a few I foolishly invested in.

rollcue

Please do not refer to your friend as your partner. It carries dangerous baggage.

And do not under any circumstances enter into a partnership agreement. That is, unless you want to put everything you own on the line.
Thanks for the advice Latigo. I thought I might get scolded for use of the word 'friend' :) Obviously a different relationship now from when the company was just forming. What if I just approached the situation with something like an intellectual property ownership document, to cover my claims in what we develop together? I agree a good corporate attorney is worth their weight in gold, however, financially that's not an option at the moment. Thanks again for any insight Latigo!

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">