• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kristopher9876

What is the name of your state? us
Hi
I am about to make a website and going to launch it within few days. This is my first website. What I wanted to know from you people is how do I make sure I am complying with all FTC rules and regulations. Could the products I sell physically injure someone and how can I protected myself in that event? Is there any way I could harm my self or my business without any notification. I need your suggestions

clueless3

What I wanted to know from you people is how do I make sure I am complying with all FTC rules and regulations.
Why don't you contact the FTC for this.

Could the products I sell physically injure someone and how can I protected myself in that event? Is there any way I could harm my self or my business without any notification.
What are you selling?
Anytime you sell something, there's always a chance that some NUTCASE misuses it somehow and come back to hold you responsible for his misuse of the product.

Make sure you

* have adequate INSURANCE
* retain a service of a lawyer in case you get sued
* make the buyer sign a DISCLAIMER. Write it and have a lawyer review it. This won't prevent someone from suing you, but it reduces your liability.
* either form a corp or an LLC to further reduce your personal liability. DON'T operate as a sole proprietorship.

Last edited:

theodore91k7

Re : Need Advice

Yes there are ways you can put your self in to a big trouble. Federal Trade Commission has already begun a sweep of Internet websites that 'are using deceptive and misleading statements.' So don’t think of putting any misleading information that could come back to you as a problem. I’ve seen a book called “How to stop the FTC From killing your internet business.” On stoptheftcfromkillingmybiz.com/

Last edited:

clueless3

how do I make sure I am complying with all FTC rules and regulations.
ANOTHER way to reduce your FTC exposure is to sell your products through a THIRD-PARTY online store, like eBay or Yahoo Shopping. That way, you can REDUCE your programming effort, let those stores handle all FTC regulations for you, and you can concentrate on running a BUSINESS instead of running a website. Of course it will reduce your PROFIT that way, but at least it frees your TIME up for something else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">