• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Newhire Paperwork

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RunABusiness

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I manage a business for which one responsibility includes hiring new employees. The manager of a sister-store implied that if I interview somebody and then choose to hire them and, as part of the hiring process, have them fill out a "newhire packet", which includes the standard I-9 docs and tax forms, as well as a "quiz", the "employee" must be "on the clock" for the duration of the time spent filling out said packet.

Is this true? So far, I've given them the packet to fill out at home and explained the packet must be filled out when they return for their first shift, and failure to comply would mean they do not actually work for me.

Please advise! Thanks!

eerelations

This is actually a question for the employment law forum. However, that said, I'll answer it anyway.

I don't think there are any laws that say this must be done "on the clock" however companies may certainly do this as a matter of internal policy. Perhaps your fellow manager was talking about company policy, not law. Or perhaps he was simply mistaken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">