• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-compete clause stopping me from starting a business.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrBusiness

Illinois

Ok I work for a certain manufacturing company that has every employee sign a non-compete contract stating that we should not do anything that may hurt the company in anyway financially. Now this company's main focus is doing dropships. I am currently planning on going away to school this fall and thought it would be a great idea to start up my own website using my company as a vendor. Knowing I had signed this contract I approached the company president about becoming one of their customers and only their customer therefore not hurting the company in anyway, but also helping the company by selling their product. The president shot down the idea saying it was unethical to let me do this even when I wasn't working there in a couple months. Now what I want to know is if there is anyway around doing this as I think I could deffinately make a good buck while going to school. So any suggestions or workaraounds would be great. Thanks!

-Mr Business

moburkes

Illinois

Ok I work for a certain manufacturing company that has every employee sign a non-compete contract stating that we should not do anything that may hurt the company in anyway financially. Now this company's main focus is doing dropships. I am currently planning on going away to school this fall and thought it would be a great idea to start up my own website using my company as a vendor. Knowing I had signed this contract I approached the company president about becoming one of their customers and only their customer therefore not hurting the company in anyway, but also helping the company by selling their product. The president shot down the idea saying it was unethical to let me do this even when I wasn't working there in a couple months. Now what I want to know is if there is anyway around doing this as I think I could deffinately make a good buck while going to school. So any suggestions or workaraounds would be great. Thanks!

-Mr Business
If he doesn't want to do business with you, then he just doesn't want to do business with you. You can't force him to change his mind.

JETX

Now what I want to know is if there is anyway around doing this
No body can answer you ACCURATELY without reviewing the FULL terms of your agreement. Contact a local attorney who can review and advise.
BTW, a LOT of non-competes won't stand a court review.

MrBusiness

When I don't really care about doing business with her I feel it is her loss by not having me as a customer, but rather if I can do business with another company in the same field or if there is a way to workaround the non-compete.

PS I can post the non-compete agreement on here if it would help. Thanks

Last edited:

MrBusiness

I understand for the most complete answer and evaluation I will need to speak to a lawyer. But I don't want to pay for a evaluation if I don't stand a chance. And is this place not for free legal advice? I don't think I need someone telling me to go find a local lawyer and being rude about it at that. Also, according to this site the nearest attorney who specailizes in these matters is about 70 miles away and I was hoping this site could maybe save me the drive.

moburkes

You'll get lots of help with that attitude. Apparently, it never occurred to you that your situation might be beyond any help that we can offer you here.

moburkes

You're right. You cam here, on a weekend, a want someone to review an entire contract, for free, because you don't want to pay an attorney to do the exact same thing. You don't appreciate the people who volunteer their time, unpaid, and, instead, want someone at your beck and call, to give you a final answer, again, on an unseen contract, based solely on the information that you provided. Good luck.

You Are Guilty

You're right. You came here, on a weekend, want someone to review an entire contract, for free, because you don't want to pay an attorney to do the exact same thing. You don't appreciate the people who volunteer their time, unpaid, and, instead, want someone at your beck and call, to give you a final answer, again, on an unseen contract, based solely on the information that you provided.
Gee, is that really so much to ask?

BTW, can you get me a coffee while you're reviewing my contract? Two sugars, no cream.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">