• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Paying Client and Late Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guaiaciar

Hi,

I periodically do website design or updates for clients. One client, who was one of the first I worked for and a (now former) family friend, hired me to do some updates for her from July-October 2004. I've sent her something like 30 e-mailed bills (Her business is web-based, so I thought that would be the best way to reach her.) and also a print bill. Everything I've called her she has not picked up, but when I block the Caller I.D. and call a few minutes later shes picks up and says she never received the bill. I know I have her address and e-mail address right, none of the bills have bounced back, and I carbon-copied a number of them to myself and they came through fine. I threatened to add a late fee in one of my e-mails if she didn't respond by a certain time. She didn't respond. What is the best way to deal with someone like this? I didn't have a contract with her. Should I threaten to call the Better Business Bureau or Small Claims Court or both? What can they do? She's self-employed, but her business just opened up a store component in our community. Can I legally charge her a late fee? And threaten another late fee in certified letter threatening to call the Better Business Bureau or Small Claims Court? I checked her business through the Better Business Bureau and there had been a complaint against the business; the customer had problems getting a refund. But they were resolved. Thank you.

divgradcurl

guaiaciar said:
Hi,

I periodically do website design or updates for clients. One client, who was one of the first I worked for and a (now former) family friend, hired me to do some updates for her from July-October 2004. I've sent her something like 30 e-mailed bills (Her business is web-based, so I thought that would be the best way to reach her.) and also a print bill. Everything I've called her she has not picked up, but when I block the Caller I.D. and call a few minutes later shes picks up and says she never received the bill. I know I have her address and e-mail address right, none of the bills have bounced back, and I carbon-copied a number of them to myself and they came through fine. I threatened to add a late fee in one of my e-mails if she didn't respond by a certain time. She didn't respond. What is the best way to deal with someone like this? I didn't have a contract with her. Should I threaten to call the Better Business Bureau or Small Claims Court or both? What can they do? She's self-employed, but her business just opened up a store component in our community. Can I legally charge her a late fee? And threaten another late fee in certified letter threatening to call the Better Business Bureau or Small Claims Court? I checked her business through the Better Business Bureau and there had been a complaint against the business; the customer had problems getting a refund. But they were resolved. Thank you.
Small claims court. BBB won't really amount to anything, they don't have any authority to do anything. You cannot charge a late fee unless it was part of your original contract. Small claims court is your best bet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">