• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Profit Company charged "fees" to generate profit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

obfuscode

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming

Disclaimer: This sounds extremely sketchy to me. It was suggested by an acquaintance who I barely know.

I operate a company that processes payments online through a merchant gateway for my clients. Everything is done normally with ACH transfers and standard credit card fees.

In a conversation with an acquaintance of mine, they suggested that I form a non-profit in addition to my LLC and process the payments through the non-profit, thereby bypassing the standard credit card fees. The LLC would then charge the non-profit "handling / audit fees" to generate a profit for the LLC.

Would this even be remotely legal? From the way it was described, it would not be bypassing any taxes, just the credit card fees.

Some Random Guy

So, will you be misrepresenting to the IRS that your non-profit is a charity?

Exemption Requirements

or do you plan on meeting one of their other criteria?

Requirements for Exemption

But if the whole purpose of the non-profit is to trick the credit card company into charging you lower rates, then you are merely defrauding the credit card company. Enjoy being sued.

The handling/audit fees are something that your LLC could charge now if it wanted. Regardless of whether it is booked against the LLC or the non-profit, you would be liable for the taxes on the money you get from the businesses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">