• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non profit corporation board with unequal voting rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

das612

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

In my state, corporations are required to have a board of at least three. Is it possible to write into bylaws a clause that gives one board member final say on all decisions and still receive 501c3 status or is that unreasonable?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

In my state, corporations are required to have a board of at least three. Is it possible to write into bylaws a clause that gives one board member final say on all decisions and still receive 501c3 status or is that unreasonable?
I do not think that is possible. It would basically put a single person in total control of the organization, and I think that is exactly what your state law is trying to prevent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">