• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-profit law question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nonprofithope

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? nc

hi, I'm looking to start an international non-profit, but I am not sure of the process I should take nor do I know if I should establish a 501c3 status.

Basically, i want to create an organization that will connects groups of students in the developed world and the developing world to discuss about social justice issues pertaining to education, health, economic, etc., and subseuquently launch social change projects in their community addressing the issues.

I already have two groups in different countries to try as a test run, but if I begin contact between the two groups in different countries, I don't know if I am violating any international law.

Could someone please direct me in how I should approach this?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? nc

hi, I'm looking to start an international non-profit, but I am not sure of the process I should take nor do I know if I should establish a 501c3 status.

Basically, i want to create an organization that will connects groups of students in the developed world and the developing world to discuss about social justice issues pertaining to education, health, economic, etc., and subseuquently launch social change projects in their community addressing the issues.

I already have two groups in different countries to try as a test run, but if I begin contact between the two groups in different countries, I don't know if I am violating any international law.

Could someone please direct me in how I should approach this?
You want to find an international business lawyer in your area of North Carolina to assist you in the formation of your international non-profit organization. Trying to do this without personal assistance from a legal professional in your area is not wise or advised.

Here is a link to the North Carolina Bar Association, where you can locate several law firms specializing in this area of the law: http://www.ncbar.org/public-resources/lawyer-referral-service/

Good luck.

FlyingRon

Setting up an non-profit organization is not hard. Setting up one that meets the requirements of a 501(c)(3) is a bit harder. First, you do need to be a corporation to get that recognition and there are definite things you have to have in your incorporation documents and then do certain things as you go forward. As Quincy says, it's best to have a lawyer. I am on the board of a 501(c)(3) corporation in NC. We had to go revise some of our corporate stuff when we got that approval.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">