• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To non-profit or not to non-profit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alceste1978

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am considering starting a new business which will collect donations (online, primarily) and then re-donate a percentage of the collected donations to other charities. I am wondering if I should attempt to apply as a not-for-profit organization or not, among other things.

For example, the business model may work like this: The business could serve as a tool to generate interest in online charity by having a monthly "lottery" which selects which charity will receive the funds. I.e. collect 10,000$ in donations, and then have a drawing which chooses the charity that "wins". Basically a charity middleman, which only "profits" enough for operating costs.

Which begs the questions:

Would donations to such a organization/business be tax deductible, since those that donate would not be directly giving to a charity, but to a charity "funnel"?

Would the organization's "income" be taxed fully, or only the "profits"? In other words, if you raised 10,000$ in one year, and then donated 9,000$ of that to an established non-profit entity...what would you get taxed on? Just 1000$? Or all of it?

Would such a project even feasibly be considered by the IRS for tax-exempt status?

Any advice or direction to useful research resources would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">