• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Profit or For Profit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmod

What is the name of your state? Michigan.

I am developing a long term plan that includes several companies dealing with technology and humanities. The technology group will eventualy be the major coin winner and I would use this company (when profitable) to fund humanities projects under a non profit label. Right now I need a cash generator to fund the R&D stage for the tech company and I came up with a business model for that purpose. Now the problem is that the more I outline this business plan I see that a Non Profit status will better fit this company, here in lies my problem: If a start this business as a Non Profit is it legal and ethical for me to use part of its profits to fund a for profit company? Also, since the nature of this company is humanities based, when I get to the stage of creating the Non Profit humanities group I will want that group to aquire this first stage company. Will I get into alot of pain and expences doing this if I start this first stage company as a for profit entity? Ultimately I want to end up with a technologies holdings (for profit) and a humanities holdings (non profit) that will receive a good portion of its operating expence from the technology group.

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">