• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Profit Purpose

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chuck60610

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? The Great State of Illinois!

My fraternity brothers and I have started an chapter specific alumni organization to support the college level brothers of the fraternity. My task is to file the Not-For-Profit articles so we can eventually apply for our 501(c) exempt status. The corporate articles require a purpose and I have came up with the following.

To promote the brotherhood and fellowship with members of "My Chapter" of "My Fraternity" while providing service and advocacy for our community. "My Chapter" will comply with the state and local laws and ordinances relating to alcoholic liquors.

(The last sentence is required by the State of Illinois.)

My question is is the preceding paragraph adequate enough for a purpose statement for our articles of organization.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck - Frat Boy ;-)

LdiJ

That's not a valid purpose for 501(c)(3). You didn't ask a question either.
Huh? The first sentence would be a valid purpose...the second sentence is questionable but if it is required by the state of Illinois I don't see how its not a valid purpose.

chuck60610

Thanks for such a quick response!

Just for clarification.

@Davew128: The purpose statement is actually, “To promote the brotherhood and fellowship with members of "My Chapter" of "My Fraternity" while providing service and advocacy for our community.”

I was asking if the above sentence was an adequate purpose statement.

The “liquor” sentence is not really relevant to the question but is required by state law.

@LdiJ: I think you understood my question.

Thank you both for your help. I REALLY appreciate it.

Chuck

davew128

Huh? The first sentence would be a valid purpose...the second sentence is questionable but if it is required by the state of Illinois I don't see how its not a valid purpose.
Besides the fact that it's a fraternity, I would suggest you actually LOOK at IRC 501(c)(3). This most definitely does NOT qualify. It falls under another category but not (3). I'll let you google it since you felt the need to say it was valid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">