• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-profit soliciting funds nationwide

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nickjames

What is the name of your state? TX

I formed a non-profit corporation here in Texas. The purpose is to raise funds for educational purposes. We intend to solicit funds across the U.S. through phone and mail. My question is, do I have to apply with the Sec. of State of each State we plan on soliciting funds from for authority to transact business? Is there a way you can do a multi-purpose filing for all of the states? In my research I have come across a uniform registration document that can be used to "register" a charity in multiple states. However, I think that this is a separate registration for charities who intend to solicit funds, and nothing to do with applying for authority to transact business with the Sec. of State. Finally, do I have to become 501c3 exempt before I begin to solicit funds?

tranquility

Get thee to a lawyer.

Lot's of people have "non-profit" corporations. Some, even on purpose. Many of my clients *never* make any money in their corporation.

However, what you're looking for is a "tax exempt" corporation. I agree it would be a 501(c)(3) if you had an educational purpose. You want this so that the donations which come in to you are tax deductible to the people making them.

There are other issues as well. Like the state law issue, there will be a complex web of laws and dutys when you solicit money nationally. Even if in your first meeting you do little more than introduce yourself and ask a couple of questions, you still need to do this to establish a relationship with a person who can advise you through the years. You will have many questions over time. You should have more questions now. Study more before taking the leap. You would be suprised at all the requirments and duties you will have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">