• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

notice of cancellation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lholtde

I had a representative from a vacuum cleaning company come to my home to perform a demonstration of the vacuum equipment. After the presentation I decided to purchase. An agreement was written up and signed. I had with 3 days to cancel which is what I did by means of registered mail. When the sales rep came to pick up the equipment he extended to me a new offer, the equipment at a lower rate with 12 month same as cash. I accepted and decided to keep the equipment. approx 13 days later, I received notification from the bank stating terms. But it stated nothing about the 12 month same as cash. I called the bank, they told me to call the vacuum company. I decided to cancel the contract. With the new contract, which also had a 3 day cancellation requirement, the sales rep wrote in that I had actually 30 days to cancel. I would like to know, is this company suppose to honor the 30 day cancellation date that the sales rep wrote in, or do we go by the 3 day cancellation information written in the contract? The sales rep. written date should over ride any other clause, correct? P.S. I live in DE, the company is in NJ.

[This message has been edited by lholtde (edited September 08, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by lholtde (edited September 08, 2000).]

JETX

As long as the salesman put the contract extension in writing, it is binding, unless the contract has a clause precluding any modifications to the contract without 'Management' approval. And even if that, you probably have every right to the 30 day cancel anyway. My suggestion: if you want to cancel, do it and don't let the salesman weasel back into the deal. If you want to keep the merchandise than do that. Make a decision and then act on it.

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
-----------------------
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">