• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NPO Director Resigned, Began Slandering Exec. Director and Organization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karoleJohnson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

So, A couple of board members on the board of directors of the NPO I founded and serve as the Executive Director of, resigned due to a disagreement of how a vote went. They are married. Immediately I started receiving emails, letters, texts and phone calls from supporters, volunteers and donors who have said that they heard how the organization was not spending money wisely, how there were major improprieties with the bookkeeping and that I was leading the organization down a path that was not in line with the mission... They have all asked to be removed from our lists. Nevermind that the mission is exactly what God laid on my heart, and the only issue they had was that we were opting to rent an office, moving our organization out of my home and the other board members all voted for the change, seeing it's benefit to our organization...

My questions:
1) is there some sort of contractual agreement that the board member, upon being voted and sworn in, can sign that states they will not speak of the organization in negative terms? What would it be called?
2) Is there defamation or slander here?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

So, A couple of board members on the board of directors of the NPO I founded and serve as the Executive Director of, resigned due to a disagreement of how a vote went. They are married. Immediately I started receiving emails, letters, texts and phone calls from supporters, volunteers and donors who have said that they heard how the organization was not spending money wisely, how there were major improprieties with the bookkeeping and that I was leading the organization down a path that was not in line with the mission... They have all asked to be removed from our lists. Nevermind that the mission is exactly what God laid on my heart, and the only issue they had was that we were opting to rent an office, moving our organization out of my home and the other board members all voted for the change, seeing it's benefit to our organization...

My questions:
1) is there some sort of contractual agreement that the board member, upon being voted and sworn in, can sign that states they will not speak of the organization in negative terms? What would it be called?
2) Is there defamation or slander here?
Non-disparagement clauses can be included in contracts but are looked at with disfavor in most states. They may or may not be enforceable.

If what is being said about you is false and injures your reputation or the reputation of your organization, there is the possibility that you could pursue a defamation claim.

I suggest you review all facts with an attorney in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">