• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Offering Temp Services of The Legal Nature

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legally_brunett

Hi From Colorado!

I am not sure which category I should put my question in, so my apologies if this one isn't correct.

I am recently unemployed and with the job market as it is, I thought I would start offering temp services to local mom and pop businesses in the area. (many years ago I did this for a specific industry when in a similar unemployed dilemma, and it worked out well)

In my recent job I did collections and also filed suits in small claims court against people that defaulted on their car loans, I filed for default judgment in most cases, appeared in court in some, and also garnished their wages on behalf of my employer.

My question is: Are their any legal restrictions barring me from offering the above services to small businesses that would like help in collecting larger past due bills since I have no formal legal education?

Thanks!

CourtClerk

In my recent job I did collections and also filed suits in small claims court against people that defaulted on their car loans, I filed for default judgment in most cases, appeared in court in some, and also garnished their wages on behalf of my employer.
Since when is a paralegal able to represent clients in court??? It seems to me that if you are a licensed paralegal, you already know what you can and cannot do legally. Representing people in court isn't one of them.

legally_brunett

I am not a licensed paralegal. My former employer had me do collections and also file cases in court.

But I believe that you have answered my question, that it is indeed, not ok to do what I was asking about in my original post.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">