• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Once upon a time**************......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RavenStormCrow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

there was a lad who wanted to start his own business out of his home. So, he started his business and built a customer base and began to earn his own way in the world. Eventually he was doing well enough that, like a good citizen would, inquired about getting a business license and paying taxes and etc.

The responsible civic agency notified the young lad that he must cease and desist in his endeavors because the place of business was also a residence and was not zoned for business use. "But," said the lad, "I am only using those items which would be in a home anyway. There are no special machines or instruments of any sort beyond the type and amount found in any house."

The attorney for the lad found precendence in supreme court decisions related to an individual starting a small business at home and the court telling the licensing agencies, (paraphrased for that has been 30 years past) "All you may do is inspect the premises to ascertain that; if it were a business zoned area would these premises meet the standards of health, safety and insurability that all business of this type must meet?"

How do I find these decisions that my attorney referenced 30 years ago since he has since passed on?

Raven

These are the interwebs?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">