• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online Business Start up Requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

InfinityDev

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am attempting to start an online development company. I primarily make gaming plugins although I am picking up Android Development, so that will be available soon also. I have a few questions about starting this business.

1) What kind of registration do I need? (state, federal, etc?)

2) This goes along with question 1, but what kind of verification do I need to go through to get my business name official?

3) Since I am not 18 I assume the company will have to be under a parent/guardians name. Any more info on this?

4) What type of company should this be? (i.e. LLC, Sole Proprietorship, etc)

Thanks for your help!

FlyingRon

Many of these questions aren't legal issues. You should avail yourself of small business resources in your area.

Start here: http://www.texaswideopenforbusiness.com/small-business/

There are two ways to get a business name. Either you operate under the name of a legal entity (your own name, a corporation or LLC) or you register a fictitious name (also called a D/B/A) with your local government (typically the county you are operating in). Since you are not 18, you will need an adult to sign any contracts that are involved (your parents would be a reasonable choice).

Frankly, you're getting the cart before the horse a bit. Write your applications and then when you have something that can sell, figure out what you need to do. Most likely, a sole proprietorship is fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">