• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

an online game company needs advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zero007

I am developing a game with an online team from all over the world. We have people from just about every continent. Everyone has agreed to work as volunteers with possible pay at the end if revenue is generated. Our team is making rapid progress and I am thinking about releasing our game commercially. I want to know what kinds of legal documents do I need in order to protect me the company lead, and the company its self from the following

People running away with the files and ideas
People using Illegal software to create items which I have no way of verifying ( i dont want to be sued later)
Weather people will stick to what they say, working voluntarily and only taking money if revenue is generated, not demanding me to pay them from my pocket.
People not suing me for random reasons later,

I also want to know how i would best register this company in canada, meaning whats the best method to register it as ( cooperation, sole proprietorship etc) such that if something happens I can protect myself from getting sued for any reason, and if we do start to make money, what taxes will i have to pay, and what legalities will I have to report.

We have a fantastic product that is actually at a professional quality, I am just having last minute doubts about legalities.

I hope someone can clear some of this stuff up for me.

tranquility

I am developing a game with an online team from all over the world. We have people from just about every continent. Everyone has agreed to work as volunteers with possible pay at the end if revenue is generated. Our team is making rapid progress and I am thinking about releasing our game commercially. I want to know what kinds of legal documents do I need in order to protect me the company lead, and the company its self from the following

People running away with the files and ideas
People using Illegal software to create items which I have no way of verifying ( i dont want to be sued later)
Weather people will stick to what they say, working voluntarily and only taking money if revenue is generated, not demanding me to pay them from my pocket.
People not suing me for random reasons later,

I also want to know how i would best register this company in canada, meaning whats the best method to register it as ( cooperation, sole proprietorship etc) such that if something happens I can protect myself from getting sued for any reason, and if we do start to make money, what taxes will i have to pay, and what legalities will I have to report.

We have a fantastic product that is actually at a professional quality, I am just having last minute doubts about legalities.

I hope someone can clear some of this stuff up for me.
This site is for U.S. law only. Besides, your plan would require separate representation for each pair of countries you are trying to make contracts with and to discover the legal duties and responsibilities of your plan. Your plan is not something that needed to deal with the legal niceties at the "last minute", but should have anticipated substantial legal costs up front to delineate all tax, ownership and duties among the parties. In fact, the legal organization would be a large part of what you have created. By not setting it up properly then, you have little hope of solving problems now.

I'd see a tax attorney in your home country to start. He will advise on how you can keep out of tax problems and may advise you on other attorneys to see to resolve the multiple problems in this project.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">