• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online "Soliciting"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sabeth

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I just started up a new, online business for web design, and am looking at how to market the web design aspect of it.

This may not sound moral, but it may prove productive. I got an idea to go around to a bunch of web sites which look like they could use a significant improvement through paying someone to design the site for them, and I'd e-mail them about it, asking if they're interested, and giving them a link to my site.

Is this legal, or is this considered online soliciting making it illegal? I don't see how this COULD be illegal when spammers flood our inboxes with useless garbage every day, when my e-mails technically would be individual, unique, and not spam.

Thanks for your time,
Sabeth

sabeth

State: NJ

I'm posting a followup question about this. Thing is, the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 mentions you need to have an opt out method, but what if they're not on a mailing list? Obviously they can't opt out if they're not on a mailing list - it's just a one-time thing.

Dixie_girl

I've been a website designer for six years. What you're talking about doing is legal (if a website has their email address listed publicly, they are inviting contact) as long as you mail them one at a time. For example, if you send a message to someone whose website you saw, that's fine. If you cc: someone else in that email, it can possibly be construed as bulk. So, write up a pitch, but send each mail separately.

My next suggestion is: don't waste your time. This is NOT a good way to get business. It is a pretty good way to piss people off.

Since I'm the webmaster for many sites, I get these every once in a while. You know, "Hey, I could improve your website, just call me!" Sometimes, the problem is with the clients. One of my first clients, from SIX years ago, has yet to send me their logo to use on it. They don't care. They don't update the content, they don't plan for anything on it, they simply don't care. They have bad taste, a bad attitude, no budget, etc. And they think I'm fabulous because the contact form works. Big deal!

You want 'em... go get 'em.

The clients you want are the ones who really have put some thought and effort into their sites. Those are wonderful clients to have. Often updated, always thinking of new ideas, new promotions, great things that work, they pay me, they pay me, they pay me. But I didn't get them by insulting them first.

BelizeBreeze

What you propose is not illegal and does not fall within the legal definition of 'spam'. As to how do you get business, I'll leave that to others. I have too much as it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">