• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Operating a Business in Public Place

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blacknife

What is the name of your state? TX

I am a tutor in the state of Texas. I work with grade school and college students. I work both in home and in public locations such as coffee shops and libraries. My question is two fold. Firstly is their any legal restriction concerning operating businesses such as this in public places owned by other businesses. Also if I were to hire employees would that change anything concerning this matter.

I am also wondering about liability if I were to hire employees. For example if someone trips and spills hot coffee and they get 3rd degree burns all over their leg (not a likely circumstance of course) would I be liable?

Thanks for the help.

divgradcurl

I am a tutor in the state of Texas. I work with grade school and college students. I work both in home and in public locations such as coffee shops and libraries. My question is two fold. Firstly is their any legal restriction concerning operating businesses such as this in public places owned by other businesses. Also if I were to hire employees would that change anything concerning this matter.
That's an issue for the coffee shop or library to deal with, not really a "legal" issue.

I am also wondering about liability if I were to hire employees. For example if someone trips and spills hot coffee and they get 3rd degree burns all over their leg (not a likely circumstance of course) would I be liable?
If you or your employee were negligent, or directly responsible for the spill and burns, then yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">