• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Operating an LLC with felony history, ethics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John_TS

Ohio

Hello, I am looking to form an LLC as a single owner for a small web branding and marketing business. I do freelancing and would like to start operating as an actual corporation.

My issue is that I have several firearms and conspiracy counts from years past which were considered violent felonies, which I have served the time. I am currently still on federal probation. I am worried that being the single owner of an LLC, my name address and history will be clearly visible and may have a huge impact with clients that may research the company info. Especially, considering the name would be visible on all sorts of elements such as web url ownership, SSL verification, bank account documents, invoices... etc etc.

I have been advised by some (not lawyers as they usually would not give this advice) to register the LLC in a family member's name, and work as either an employee of the company or another partner, in which the business would be listed primarily under the family member's name. Apparently a silent partner role would not work as I would have an active, day to day role in operating the business.

Further, I may be entering into some LLC partnerships in the near future, where I would be again facing the issue of having my criminal history visible under the company name and affecting other partners.

I'm wondering the ethics involved in this scenario, and what would be the best solution.

I welcome any and all input, thanks in advance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">