• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Options for Separating from a Business Partner with a C-Incorporated Company in MD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmason

State: Maryland

[HR][/HR]

Hello,

So, long story short I am wondering about the options from separating from a business partner who isn't working out for the start-up that we have started together in Maryland.

Obviously we have assets but more importantly I have created intellectual property that is of the ownership of the corporation itself (Patents, copyrighted code, etc.)

Ideally the person in question would simply step down and rescind his role but that may be unlikely; so I am seeking advice to see if there is any way separation is possible while either maintaining the company or at least keeping the intellectual property intact such that the product can still be sold, etc.

I hope these questions make sense. I look forward to everyone's feedback.

quincy

State: Maryland

[HR][/HR]

Hello,

So, long story short I am wondering about the options from separating from a business partner who isn't working out for the start-up that we have started together in Maryland.

Obviously we have assets but more importantly I have created intellectual property that is of the ownership of the corporation itself (Patents, copyrighted code, etc.)

Ideally the person in question would simply step down and rescind his role but that may be unlikely; so I am seeking advice to see if there is any way separation is possible while either maintaining the company or at least keeping the intellectual property intact such that the product can still be sold, etc.

I hope these questions make sense. I look forward to everyone's feedback.
Your partnership agreement does not cover this?

You could buy your partner's share of the business, IP and all. Or you could dissolve the business entirely and split the liabilities and assets (which include the IP) 50/50.

tmason

Thank you...

Perhaps my agreement does cover this. As mentioned I would prefer to keep the company itself intact so I am interested in the purchasing option.

I assume the other party would have to agree. Is that right?

quincy

Perhaps my agreement does cover this. As mentioned I would prefer to keep the company itself intact so I am interested in the purchasing option.

It certainly helps if the other party agrees. :)

LdiJ

I am going to give slightly different advice. If you have a C-corp, its not a partnership. You each own stock in the corporation. Therefore you would need to buy his stock. If he has invested in the corporation he may not want to sell his stock. Another alternative would be for any working shareholder (for example, yourself) to receive a salary for the work that you do, on top of any dividends that the corporation may be able to issue.

quincy

Oops. I missed the "C-Incorporated" in the title and focused on the "business partner" in the post.

I agree with LdiJ that it is probably best to try to negotiate a stock buy-back and then remove the "partner" according to the procedures detailed in the bylaws or, if there is no removal procedure provided for in the corporate documents, by following Maryland's procedure for removing him as corporate officer.

Here is a link to Maryland's Corporate Statutes (from Rees Broome PC): http://www.reesbroome.com/newsroom/statutes/Maryland Corporate Statutes.pdf

How large is your corporation/how many shareholders own the company?

Last edited:

latigo

Perhaps my agreement does cover this. . . . . I assume the other party would have to agree. Is that right?
"Perhaps"? "Business partnership"? "C- Corporation"? "I assume"?

Apparently you are so lacking in knowledge as to how this "business venture" is organized and structured as to be incapable of speaking intelligently of it. Before you continue rambling about it I suggest that you become better acquainted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">