• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oregon real estate agent: form LLC to protect personal assets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OregonJAM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I'll be getting my Oregon real estate license soon and am wondering about the effectiveness of forming a one-person LLC to protect my personal assets in the event that I am ever sued by someone. I realize that I'll be carrying Errors/Omissions insurance, but would my doing business as an LLC further protect me?

Thank you for your time.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I'll be getting my Oregon real estate license soon and am wondering about the effectiveness of forming a one-person LLC to protect my personal assets in the event that I am ever sued by someone. I realize that I'll be carrying Errors/Omissions insurance, but would my doing business as an LLC further protect me?

Thank you for your time.
A single member LLC is a disregarded entity for tax purposes and you can protect your personal assets better by carrying good insurance than any other way. Just don't get "cheap" on the insurance. Carry enough to protect you in a worst case scenario.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">