• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Organization Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

idyll

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am a member of a voluntary organization which is not-for-profit. We have a charter which states the procedures for the organization but we file no taxes and are not incorporated in any particular legal way. (I'd imagine we'd qualify as a general partnership. We have elected leaders/board members from within the membership.)

To secure a location for an event, one of the board members of the organization put the location fees on his credit card. The event did not do as well as expected and did not recoup enough money to pay off the location fees. The organization does not have enough money to repay the money out of its own funds.

Our charter requires a vote from the membership to disburse an amount such as the one for the location fee. There is some doubt about whether the proper procedure was followed (as well as whether the amount and purpose was clear). If the organization believes that the money was not properly approved by the members and does not make restitution, will the credit card holder be able to sue the organization for the money?

1) Where does the liability for that location fee lie?

2) Can the holder of the credit card sue the other board members at the time for the amount? Can he sue for the amount including interest?

3) Can he sue the current board members for the amount?

4) Can he sue the regular members for the amount?

I am considering stepping up to board level to attempt to fix some of the monetary issues with the organization, but I am concerned that I may be taking on the debt of the organization this way.

5) If the organization becomes limited liability at this point, will the prior debt come under limited liability or will it continue under general partnership laws? Thank you.

idyll

Yes, the credit card holder can sue your organization.
How would this work? He would sue the organization in name directly?

He can sue the board members personally at the time of the debt? Will the board members' own personal assets be at risk?

He can sue the current board members personally?

He can sue all members?

Thank you very much for your time.

moburkes

Pay attention to the word you use - CAN. Look up its definition.

However, you'll need to ask his attorney those questions, cause we can't predict the future.

idyll

Apologies

Pay attention to the word you use - CAN. Look up its definition.

However, you'll need to ask his attorney those questions, cause we can't predict the future.
Wonderful. I appreciate the distinction and consider myself properly chastised for my diction.

I will attempt to rephrase my question:

In the previously described organization, what entity/entities are legally liable for debts incurred by the organization?
a) The board at the time of the debt
b) The current board
c) The members

If said organization dissolves, what legal recourse would be open to the credit card holder?
a) sue the board members at the time of the debt by name, going after their personal assets
b) sue the board members at the time of dissolution, going after their personal assets
c) sue the members of the organization, going after their personal assets...
d) All of the above pursuant to the lawyer of the credit card holder

Thank you for your time. I apologize for stating my previous question incorrectly. If I have not improved in the clarity of my question, please feel free to harangue me for such.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">