• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owed Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Adeveda

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but here I go. A former roomate owed money toward bills. When we moved our seperate ways I was mailed the security deposit. We met and I gave her her share of the security deposit, she gave me her share of money owed for bills. I deposited the check. Two weeks later I recieve a statement from the bank saying that she put a "stop check" on the check. I was charged a fee by the bank.
I called her house and left a polite message for her to call me. She did not respond. I called again two evenings later. She has put a security code on her phone so I can't get through without a code.
What do I do next? Please, help.

Thanks,
Veda

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adeveda:
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but here I go. A former roomate owed money toward bills. When we moved our seperate ways I was mailed the security deposit. We met and I gave her her share of the security deposit, she gave me her share of money owed for bills. I deposited the check. Two weeks later I recieve a statement from the bank saying that she put a "stop check" on the check. I was charged a fee by the bank.
I called her house and left a polite message for her to call me. She did not respond. I called again two evenings later. She has put a security code on her phone so I can't get through without a code.
What do I do next? Please, help.

Thanks,
Veda
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

It's called Small Claims court.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

T

tryoutofcourt

I am a mediator for Hawaii Small Claims courts. What to do in your case depends on a number of variables: The amount of money involved, whether you believe your room mate has the money to pay, whether she lives in your State or somewhere else, the value of your time, and so on.

Let’s assume she lives in your State. I would invest $0.33 in a stamp, to try to resolve this matter as quickly and peacefully as possible. In your letter, ask your room mate to call you to settle this matter, and tell her that if you don’t hear anything from her within say a week, you will have no other alternative than filing a claim in the Small Claims court.
Obviously, the letter may or may not work. If you decide to go ahead with the Small Claims, let me know and I will be glad to explain you briefly how it works (particularly the mediation part, if provided in your State) and where you can find further information about it (there is a lot available on the Internet).

Good luck

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">