• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parallel import deal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mimi71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I am considering 1099 contract work involving parallel importing a luxury car from US. My part includes contacting a dealer, getting a quote, negotiating to bring the price down, use my client's funds to buy the car in my name. The car will be picked up by a car transporter and legal ownership will be changed. Can an attorney let me know if they see anything illegal in this transaction that I should be concerned about?

LdiJ

I'd better see some proof of certified funds lest you fall in the common scam.
I agree. The idea itself is not illegal (my ex even did that once for a friend of his in Italy that wanted a vintage corvette) but the funds need to arrive to you to purchase the car, pay for the shipping, and get your contract pay, in a way that guarantees that the funds are legit. A wire transfer would probably be the safer way to go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">