• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partnership Profit Sharing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cprince

I am a software developer that is working right now part-time as an Independent Contractor. I have not incorporated yet but plan on shortly.

First question is I have a client that wants me to develop a software product. He wants to pay me a reduced amount in exchange for 50% of the proceeds from the sale of the product. The product will likely sell for around $6k per license.

I don't have a lot of startup money but I want to get this kind of agreement right so that I can ensure he pays me my share and that I don't get screwed.

What kind of advice can anyone offer?
What should I expect for the cost of someone to assist with the write up of this agreement?

What should I keep in mind for something like this. The client is located in California and I am located in Massachusetts.

Thanks, Chris

JETX

"What kind of advice can anyone offer?"
*** At a minimum, include the right to inspect ALL sales records, profit reports, acounting records, etc.

"What should I expect for the cost of someone to assist with the write up of this agreement?"
*** Depends entirely on what you are looking for. You might be able to find a 'template' on the internet for free.

"What should I keep in mind for something like this. The client is located in California and I am located in Massachusetts."
*** In this case, be sure to include a jurisdiction clause that any and all disputes will be heard in YOUR state and that the prevailing party recovers reasonable attorney fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">