• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PAY Being with held!! can they do that

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigdawg42

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am currently employed as an Independent Contractor (courier).
We were recently given a memo stating to consolidate all packages when nessary. Due to increasing cost for company. We were advised additional cost would be charged back to Contractors.

1. Several contrators have failed to consolidate since memo was put out, however I was singaled out and made a example of when I failed to consolidate.

2. As an Independent Contractor I do many different jobs for the company they are all assigned different Job #s and paid seperately. The job in question paid $29.00 my error cost the company $35.00. My question is can they deduct the $35.00 from my check which results in me not being fully paid on the other
job(s) I completed satisfactorly.

B

businessjustice

Unfortunately, yes. If you were an actual employee of the company, it would be a different story.

You are, by definition of an independent contractor, a vendor of the company you work for. You have a contractual agreement to do the job they request, in the manner they request it. Much like if a manufacturing company receives defective material from a vendor, they will do a charge back for costs, you are getting a charge back for poor performance. It doesn't matter if you were the first one or not, it is thier discression to exercise the choice of charge back or not and you were notified of it in the memo.

If you don't like the terms, you can sever your independent contractual relationship with the company and currier for someone else, or buckle down and make sure you do not ever get charged back again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">