• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal liability or corporate one?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Metamorphoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

My spouse and I purchased a 40% interest in an S-Corp. My sister and brother-in-law, the majority shareholders, own the other 60% interest. When we bought our interest in the company, we paid our 40% in full up front. My sister and her husband, however, had taken out a loan to purchase the company from its previous owner.

Our issue: They handle the financials, and they have claimed the loan as a corporate liability; so the company has been making the loan payments. My husband and I are not happy about this. As shareholders, we feel like we are essentially paying 40% of their loan and gaining nothing in return.

Is what they are doing legal? Can a shareholder's loan to invest in the company be regarded as a corporate liability, payable with corporate funds? Is there anything we can do at this point (we've been in the company several years), or are we stuck?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">