• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is it possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hd2b

My brother and I bought a house together. We are listed as tenants in common. About 2 yrs. after buying the home, I started a business on the property. It Was never a problem and in fact he runs a small business himself in the home. We have had a major fight (having nothing to do with the business) We never have participated in each others business what-so-ever. My business is booming and now he wants to claim half of the proceeds. Could it be possible for him to have any claim to this? He has never contributed money or labor or anything at all. Just want to know if it is as ridiculous as it sounds that he could have any claim in my business. I understand that he is entitled to the equity that the buildings that I have repaired brough. But the actual proceeds? Thank you in advance.
hd2b

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hd2b:
My brother and I bought a house together. We are listed as tenants in common. About 2 yrs. after buying the home, I started a business on the property. It Was never a problem and in fact he runs a small business himself in the home. We have had a major fight (having nothing to do with the business) We never have participated in each others business what-so-ever. My business is booming and now he wants to claim half of the proceeds. Could it be possible for him to have any claim to this? He has never contributed money or labor or anything at all. Just want to know if it is as ridiculous as it sounds that he could have any claim in my business. I understand that he is entitled to the equity that the buildings that I have repaired brough. But the actual proceeds? Thank you in advance.
hd2b
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

He's living in a Dream World. All because you and he share a house, doesn't mean you both share in everything within the house. He gets nothing if he has not contributed money or labor to your venture. Your business is a separate entity from the house.

Does he want half of your clothes in your closet, too?

What are your brother's reasonings and arguments in favor of gaining half of your business?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

H

hd2b

Thank you for your response. He feels that since I operate the business on the property and that he owns 1/2 the property, that he is entitled to it. He also feels that since I have put all of the proceeds into "MY" account and pay the mortgage (he doesn't write any of the bills, and the account is in my and my husbands name only) that it makes it a joint acct. going on the basis that I write all the household expenses out of the acct.. We pay all the utilities and he contributes about $1000.00 a month out of $3600.00 worth of bills. Thanks again, I just wanted to know if he was stabbing in the dark.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">