• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-Opening Sales for Health and Fitness Facility?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GSEI

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I am in the process of opening a new health and fitness facility in Ashburn, Virginia (Loudoun County). To help with initial capitalization and market research, I plan on selling a "pre-opening" promotional offer of a 3-month membership for a discounted rate. This facility will have no initiation or maintenance fees. My question is this: Do I need to be bonded in order to legally collect these pre-launch membership fees?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I am in the process of opening a new health and fitness facility in Ashburn, Virginia (Loudoun County). To help with initial capitalization and market research, I plan on selling a "pre-opening" promotional offer of a 3-month membership for a discounted rate. This facility will have no initiation or maintenance fees. My question is this: Do I need to be bonded in order to legally collect these pre-launch membership fees?
**A: what did the VA state regulatory agency tell you?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I spoke with the VA General Attorney's office and they said that I needed to get the advice of, guess what, an attorney.
Then, I suggest you follow their instruction (this board is not "an attorney", and should not be relied on as such)

GSEI

Then, I suggest you follow their instruction (this board is not "an attorney", and should not be relied on as such)
Eventually, I will seek the professional wisdom of a paid attorney. But this being the Free Advice forum for Business and Financial Law, I am hoping for some, well, free advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Eventually, I will seek the professional wisdom of a paid attorney. But this being the Free Advice forum for Business and Financial Law, I am hoping for some, well, free advice.
Which you have received.
Part of the wisdom of the people posting here takes the form of knowing when to recommend you seek real legal counsel.

GSEI

Which you have received.
Part of the wisdom of the people posting here takes the form of knowing when to recommend you seek real legal counsel.
Very well, thank you very much. I await for more from others as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">