• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous work design portfolio use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajrtcw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
Hi,
I used to work for sign company, now I want to start my own sign business. Can I use designs that I made for that company in my portfolio.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
Hi,
I used to work for sign company, now I want to start my own sign business. Can I use designs that I made for that company in my portfolio.
The sign company you used to work for could (probably does) hold the copyrights in the designs you created when working for them. Under the work made for hire concept, the copyrights in the sign designs created while you were an employee, if created within the scope of your employment, become the intellectual property of the company/employer, absent an agreement to the contrary.

If the works are works made for hire, you would not be able to re-create these designs for your own sign business without the express written permission from the other company (and, if you are planning to compete with this business, it is unlikely they will sign over to you the rights in your previous work).

You can have all facts reviewed by an attorney in your area, however, to determine better the copyright status of the designs.

ajrtcw

Thank you very much for your help.

The sign company you used to work for could (probably does) hold the copyrights in the designs you created when working for them. Under the work made for hire concept, the copyrights in the sign designs created while you were an employee, if created within the scope of your employment, become the intellectual property of the company/employer, absent an agreement to the contrary.

If the works are works made for hire, you would not be able to re-create these designs for your own sign business without the express written permission from the other company (and, if you are planning to compete with this business, it is unlikely they will sign over to you the rights in your previous work).

You can have all facts reviewed by an attorney in your area, however, to determine better the copyright status of the designs.
Thank you for your help. That answered my question.
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">