• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privledged Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HH

Distributor in IN
Manfacturer in MS, FL, and Dominican Rep.

I used to work for a distributor. About 7 weeks ago, my employer informed me I was out of a job because he was selling the business. He is selling out to the manufacturer. I am wondering if I am within my legal right to contact another manufacturer so that I may distribute a "similar" product. I am well aware of our customer list. I am also wondering if legally the manufacturer that is buying out my boss' company can sue me because I have that information. None of the products are patented to my knowledge.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Well, it is sort of sticky information. They do not have to be patented to get liability. If that list is company information, it MAY be privileged and not yours to take with you. If you had contacted these companies for a job, I think it would be okay.

What you want to do is called interference with prospective economic advantage or interference with contractual relations. You see, by distributing a similar product, via another manufacterer to the same client list, you are in essence interfering with either possible contractual relations or already established ones. Now, although we live in a society that allows for freedom of business and profit, it is a fine line.

I would talk with an attorney in all places you have listed to make sure all applicable state law doesn't prohibit you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">