• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Professional Limited Liability Corporations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Badrom

What is the name of your state?
Michigan.

Under Michigan corporations law, is one who holds a professional license and wants to incorporate to provide the licensed professional services required to create some form of "professional" corporation?

In any case, I think I have read correctly that in Michigan a professional cannot limit their personal liability for malpractice (performed pursuant to the corporation's business) to only those assets invested in the corporation, is this true?

Thank you.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state?
Michigan.

Under Michigan corporations law, is one who holds a professional license and wants to incorporate to provide the licensed professional services required to create some form of "professional" corporation?

In any case, I think I have read correctly that in Michigan a professional cannot limit their personal liability for malpractice (performed pursuant to the corporation's business) to only those assets invested in the corporation, is this true?

Thank you.
**A: yes it is. EX: A license to practice medicine if given to the individual only. If the MD works for a hospital owned by a Corporation, both the corporation and the individual have liabilty with respect to a malpractice claim. An occupational license follows the same premise as the Plaintiff would as they say "pierce the corporate veil" to claim personal liability.

Badrom

Thanks

Yep, that is what my independant research concluded, but its always nice to hear it from another source.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">