• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Publishing "imaginary" quotes by someone else

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

idealistico101

Hi guys!

I am writing a book and to spice things up I´d want to add some funny quotes.

- John Doe is a presenter of a big tv show and famous for his witty remarks.
- I would write similar to this - "if mr John Doe commented on this he would probably say "yes this is a bunch of baloney" (or similar).
- I would clearly state in the beginning of the book that these quotes are fictional
- The quotes would of course not be defamatory, include hatred/racism or whatever offensive material.

Do I have to ask for permission etc to do this?
:confused::)

quincy

Hi guys!

- I would write similar to this - "if mr John Doe commented on this he would probably say "yes this is a bunch of baloney" (or similar).
- I would clearly state in the beginning of the book that these quotes are fictional
- The quotes would of course not be defamatory, include hatred/racism or whatever offensive material.

It can be legally risky to do what you are proposing to do. If the well-known John Doe is not amused by the words you are putting in his mouth, there is a good chance that you will not be amused for long either. ;)

The idea for your book's "spice" can be doable but you need to be very careful with the words you use. You will be working with a person's reputation and reputations are valuable. Getting permission is always best when you intend to use a real person in a fictitious way.

I recommend you take your manuscript, with the fake witty remarks you intend to have the real person say, for a personal review by an attorney in your area.

Good luck.

Just Blue

Hi guys!

What US State are you in?

quincy

Not to worry...I think most of us have does it at some point...:)
I think I am going to start pretending everyone is from Michigan unless told otherwise (or, better perhaps, that they are from the U.K. - because that would make my answers shorter :)).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">