• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Publishing Scam?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maggi

International Who's Who (Gibralter Publishing,Inc., Jacksonville, NC) recently solicited me via mail for membership. My ego got the better of me and in a phone call I provided background info they requested and submitted a credit card # for their membership fee. I changed my mind the next day and called back to cancel. I was told that it was "no problem" and that an account manager would be calling me back in 3-5 days later. Since I did not hear from them I called them back. Now the company is saying that they will be charging me a 10% "fee" for cancelation AND that federal law does NOT require them to disclose the penalty during their sales pitch. At no time did they disclose a 10% penalty for cancelation of membership. Should I write this off as "experience" or is there something I can do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maggi:
International Who's Who (Gibralter Publishing,Inc., Jacksonville, NC) recently solicited me via mail for membership. My ego got the better of me and in a phone call I provided background info they requested and submitted a credit card # for their membership fee. I changed my mind the next day and called back to cancel. I was told that it was "no problem" and that an account manager would be calling me back in 3-5 days later. Since I did not hear from them I called them back. Now the company is saying that they will be charging me a 10% "fee" for cancelation AND that federal law does NOT require them to disclose the penalty during their sales pitch. At no time did they disclose a 10% penalty for cancelation of membership. Should I write this off as "experience" or is there something I can do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I'm selling shares in the Brooklyn Bridge. Each share is only $49.95. Please post your Credit Card number, and the amount of shares you want.

Call your credit card company (See instructions on the back of one of your Statements) and place a "Stop" pay order on that charge. The CC Company will investigate whether or not you received any benefit of the bargain, and if not, will reverse the charges.

In the meantime, want to have a celestial star named after yourself? For $29.95, I'll send you a Certificate of Authenticity and coordinates for a Star in the Delta Quandrant that is yours, and with your name !! Guaranteed not to be owned by anyone but you !!

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

M

maagi

IAAL: I am grateful for your opinion and humbled in recognition of my stunning stupidity. Thank you.

J

Jezzy

Maggi,
I feel like we are so alike
i dont know if you read my post
but i went a step further and actually signed a paper without understanding it. The man came to our door as a religous man and left
looking like the devil in desquise
(his story changed quite a bit)
so in esence and not meant to offend anyone
we (being 17 and 18 year old married parents)
have signed our souls over. I WANT EM BACK!
and my credit lol
Jezzy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">